Five for Friday! {September 25, 2015}


I'm happy that I'm finally getting back into the school routine again! I'm waking up a few minutes later and leaving school a few minutes earlier than I was at the beginning of the year.


I'm really happy with my new bulletin board. I laminated the speech bubbles so I could leave it up for the entire year and update them according to the most recent reading and writing lessons!

We've been learning all about how to express ourselves by referring to these posters (available HERE in my TpT store). I've made them 2 per page so they take up less space, and I love adding these to students' notebooks so they can refer to them during reading or writing time. They make conversation about characters much more interesting! Plus, I always get so thrilled when parents come to me with stories about how their children are using words like "elated" or "distraught" at home. ;)

This week I saw the need for a little discussion about how to choose books from the school library. It can be quite overwhelming for these young kiddos to select a few books from thousands! I made my own selections and then talked with students about what I look for in a good book. (Of course I had to make a little mini anchor chart. ;))

I started the week with my favorite treat: Chocolate Chip Cookies. The original, homemade version from Toll House is the best I've found. And I've tried a LOT of cookies. ;) Dunk these babies in your morning coffee, and the day is off to a sweet start!
Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

I stumbled upon a book that is just perfect for bringing science into our morning meeting discussions. It answers scientific questions in a very kid-friendly, straightforward way and includes fun illustrations too!

   

What about you? Do you have any fun morning meeting routines?

3 comments:

  1. Your bulletin board is so cute and colourful i love it! I love the look of the book- do fish drink - I really want that! Looks great with so much learning potential! Choc Chip Cookies, yum!

    Have a great weekend!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in the library I know all too well the huge challenge of picking out just right books. Your lessons sounds great. It always helps when kids hear what adults do to select books and some ideas for great choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those posters! It is always great to hear kids using words besides happy, sad, and mad. And those cookies! I made those twice in the past week! That same recipe, but with M&Ms. Yum!

    Stacy
    Made with Love

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS