Sunday Scoop: September 28, 2014


Can you believe Sunday is here already?! It's time for another Sunday Scoop link-up with the Teaching Trio...


Even though I have some planning time on Monday mornings, I ALWAYS find things in the classroom that I wasn't able to finish the week before. So I'm trying to "complete" all of my planning on Sunday. I think I sleep better without worrying about a long to-do list on Monday mornings.

Apparently after spending a year living in Italy and eating (more than) my fair share of pasta and tiramisu, my dress pants have decided to shrink! Can you believe it?! So, instead of hoping I will fit into them again one day, I've decided to give my wardrobe a little update by finding some new pieces. I don't feel too guilty since I've been wearing the same six pairs of trousers for several years now. 

Have you read any of the Divergent series? I've really been getting into young adult science fiction these days. My fourth graders got me hooked, and it became a great way to build relationships with several of my (boy) students. Alex Rider books did WONDERS to generate interest and discussion for the few reluctant readers in my classroom. Now that I'm teaching second grade, I guess I'm just reading these books for my own pleasure. :) Do you have any recommendations?

 photo blogsignature2_zps48698912.png

6 comments:

  1. Warning, I liked Divergent, but Insurgent...not as much. I also heard that the last one is infuriating when it ends. I stopped after Insurgent. I have been reading similar books lately on recommendation of my 13-year old daughter. The Fault in Our Stars is a good read, way better than the movie if you saw it.

    A year in Italy sounds awesome! Totally would be worth an extra size in my book!
    Mary
    4th Works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks for the warning. I, too, am discovering that Divergent is the best of the series. I'm so bummed to hear about the last book! I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars... I think that was the beginning of my fascination with young adult fiction.
      And yes, the year in Italy was definitely worth a few extra pounds. :)

      Delete
  2. I cleaned out my closets last week. They feel so roomy now!

    Lisa
    LisaTeachR'sClassroom

    PS What were you doing in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! I spent the last year teaching in Italy. I need to write a post or two about that... Maybe after the school year calms down!

      Delete
  3. I recently listened to Flora and Ulysses on CD during my commute. It isn't ANYTHING AT ALL like the Divergent series. It is, however, a middle school book by Kate DiCamillo. I love her. It's so funny. You might like Landry Park. I forget the author! Have a great week!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations, Jan! I love Kate DiCamillo too. It's too bad her books are more appropriate for older students (since I'm teaching 2nd grade), but at least I can enjoy them!

      Delete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS